Featured Post

Thursday, April 16, 2020

9th Grade Lit and Comp AND 10th Grade World Lit: Thursday, April 16, 2020

Good morning!




Today we are going to be entering into the world of Harry Potter through a quiet little road called Privet Drive. As we read, we're going to be looking at the novel from different perspectives through things called "literary lenses" to guide us through our critical reading of the text.

In the video from Monday, John Green discussed Critical Reading, and the next few images build on that idea and set up how we're going to approach our novel study for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.




If this sounds complicated, I promise it's not! Basically: we're just going to take a look some different ways to read. The first lens that we're going to be pulling out of our toolbox is the reader response lens. This lens, like many of the other lenses, has a pretty simple definition.




TO DO FOR THURSDAY, APRIL 16:
  1. Read Chapter 1
    • This is a link to the ebook
    • This is a link to the audiobook (you do not need an account to listen)
    • Note: The audiobook is for the British version of the book, so the title is different and some words might be different if you are following along on the PDF. However, Stephen Fry (the narrator) is an amazing reader, and I highly recommend listening to the audiobook.
  2. Complete the Reader Response Form for Chapter 1
    • Read the chapter slowly and deliberately and think about the questions above & your reaction and connection to the work.
    • You will need to log into your Office365 account in order to complete the form. Email me or send me a Remind if you have problems logging in. (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this will work the way I want it to. 🤞🤞)
Finally, I wanted to share an update on grades. I added some assignments to the gradebook over the past few days. Here are the assignments I've graded and the ones that are still on my to do list. I'm hoping to have all of the assignments from before Spring Break in the gradebook by next week Wednesday, but thank you again for your patience!



As always, I am available via email and through Remind. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need me. 😊